Sunday, February 24, 2019

What February 24 Means to Me.

This was the easiest post to write.  Alot of it I've said before.  It's a subject that will always touch my soul, and be something I'm proud to have accomplished for my Chimpers.  I was born in 1963.  Cobby came to the Zoo in 1968.  Maggie and Minnie in 1970.  As a Richmond District native and lifelong resident, the Zoo has been a part of my life, my whole life.  These three Chimps have been there as long as I can remember.

I just finished watching the Oscars.  Half way through I thought about four years ago.  Right before the show in 2015, KGO-TV Reporter Dan Noyes, messaged me.  The teaser for our news story on the Chimps would premiere after the Oscars. ... I fell asleep and woke up in the morning to a familiar voice coming from the TV.  Mine. ... That teaser ran more than every hour for the next two days, when the story aired, February 24. 

The story of how the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson, wanted to kick-out our precious Senior Chimp Family literally was, in, my opinion, one of the worst SFZoo crimes, and a level of cruelty I found hard to believe could happen. 

Thank you to everyone who helped me be their Voice, whether you signed my Petition, contacted the Zoo, or were part of the News team who got their story to the masses, we are the ones who are responsible for the enriching life the Chimps now have.  For them staying in the only home they have ever known.  For them never having to see the inside of those shipping crates that were being built for them.

On Thanksgiving Day, almost four years later, the new Dayroom opened. I easily spend several hours a week with our Chimpanzees.  Experiencing their new life adventures with them, is a joy.  Seeing the looks on their faces, their body language, the way their new world is enriching their lives, will never get old.

 Minnie!

 Cobby!

Maggie!

 Qadeer!

People are not just loving this Exhibit, they are loving this Exhibit FOR Our Chimps.  The people who have visited Cobby, Minnie, Maggie, and Tallulah (RIP), over the years in Triple Grotto and have wanted more for them, are touched.  I was standing next to a Member the other day who had been visiting the Chimps for over twenty-five years.  She was touched seeing them get something new after so long.  

I hear the words of Visitors,  as they stream into the new Dayroom, and stare with smiles into at our Chimp Friends, "Beautiful" ,"Amazing", "Wonderful", "Awesome", "Incredible", "Neat", ... 

So, four years ago, San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson, wanted to get rid of the Zoo's longest and oldest Residents.  She had no idea how much they were Loved.  Or maybe she did and didn't care. They ARE Loved.  Seeing them in the Dayroom has become the Zoo's most popular exhibit.  ... You're Welcome.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all you have done for our precious chimps. I was excited to see that chimp "move decision" change that day in the Directors Meeting. She clearly has no compassion for the animals. I can't wait to see the new day rooms for the chimps. I haven't been to the zoo in awhile and miss my chimps. Thank you for being A BIG REASON our chimps are still here at the zoo and enjoying new surroundings. The photos are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Andie - Thank you for your comment. Apologies for the delay in publishing it. I never get the notifications anymore and forget to check. ... Thank you for your help and support during the Chimp Crusade. Yes that decision that day, gave us joy and relief and allowed our friend to never know what was going on. Sad for them it was ever a thing. .. Glad you liked the photos! You have to get there one day to see them and meet Qadeer!

      Delete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.