Sunday, June 12, 2022

Is The Rec And Park Using Toxic Chemicals In Park Lake? Tons Of Dead Fish Seen - Non-SFZoo Related

At this moment, I'm not even sure how to present this, but I feel I need to document what I witnessed, and the questions surrounding this issue.  So I'm going to just post all I know right now.  I'm posting to this blog as it my main forum, and I have posted regarding other Rec and Park issues here, most recently about the Bison Paddock.  Look to the end of this post for an update about the Bison Paddock sprinkler situation.

I visit both South Lake and Spreckles Lake at least once a week.  When I stopped at South Lake this past Friday,  I called to my Duck Friends to let them know I was there, as they come right over and like to have a chat with me. While waiting for them to paddle across the Lake to greet me, I noticed the Lake was a dark teal color.  This is not the first time.  I have seen this at least three times in recent months. The color looks like the disinfectant that is used in barbershop to sanitize combs.  That dark blue then mixed with green lake color.   It screams chemicals every time I see it.  When my Duck Friends arrived I bent down to greet their quacks, and saw a dead Fish.  

As I looked around the small area I was standing, there were nine dead Fish in an area six feet to either side of me.  This was different than the other times I had seen this color in the lake.  As someone who cares about all Animals, and who has an aquarium, seeing these poor souls belly-up is very upsetting.   

My thoughts immediately go to the chemicals the Rec and Park use to kill plants they don't want.   At this lake alone I have previously seen a sign on several occasions, in reference to pesticide use to rid the lake of the Parrot Feather plant, that they consider "invasive".   A few years ago I called the number on the sign and asked about the chemicals used and their effects on the Waterfowl and Aquatic Wildlife at the lake.  I was told it wasn't toxic to them.  

My thoughts also go to the killing of "invasive" Aquatic life in Mountain Lake Park, by the Presidio Trust in 2014.   I'm sorry, but I don't buy into murdering Animals because they are a nuisance.  Kill all the Animals and then it just takes one person to abandon another into the Lake and it starts over.  I find it barbaric. ... If you don't know the story here's a link to an article about them scooping up dead fish they proudly rid of Mountain Lake. 

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Workers-pour-poison-into-Mountain-Lake-begin-5888355.php

So yea, I would not put it past the Rec and Park, who murders all the poor little Gopher Friends because they uproot the plants.  We have a ton of Hawks, Herons and Owls to keep the circle of life going without the Rec and Park pulling them from their underground homes and drowning them.  At one time, the Rec and Park used to relocate them to one controlled spot, but the guy who rallied for that passed away and with that the humane way to handle them died.   Apologies for digressing.

That all said, this water issue at South Lake looks like a chemical dump.   I documented it, as well made several calls trying to get hold of the department I talked to before, but with no success.   As I drove to Spreckles Lake, I saw a Park Gardener by the Bison.  I asked him the name of the department, and told him what I saw at South Lake.  I said that I thought it was due to chemical dump.  He just smiled, like I got it right but he couldn't confirm.  He then offered that they (the Rec and Park) will "say" it's algae, like they did at Spreckles.  This info infuriated me even more.  I was ready to write this post in a very angry rant that night.

I didn't get to it that night, and yesterday I remembered that I had seen and photo'd a sign posted at Spreckles a couple weeks ago.   Further thoughts raised more questions, so now I'm just putting those thoughts out there.


Several things to note about this.  

- I've never seen Spreckles Lake the color I've witnessed at South Lake.

- I've never seen Fish belly-up at Spreckles.

- There were Fish surfacing looking for food while I was there, so there is obviously a live population.

- I researched the bacteria mentioned on the sign, and the photos of this or any other algae related pollutants do not visually represent what I have seen at South Lake.

Now, if that is what the Rec and Park will claim, and I'm no professional, just documenting what I've witnessed, then Why has the Rec and Park not posted a warning sign there?

Additionally, the Rec and Park has known about the lead poison in the Palace of Fine Arts lagoon for over a year, and they have yet to post a warning sign about that.  The lead poisoning there caused the death of one of the Swans last year, and the one who survived treatment was selfishly put back out there, and now recent tests have shown she has  been reinfected.

So, in my opinion, the Rec and Park are negligent and selective with public service announcements in regard to contaminants, both natural occurring and at their own hands.

I worry for all the Wildlife living in and on these contaminated waters.   I also worry for people who don't know, who allow their Dogs to come in contact with these waters.   

What is going on with the water at South Lake, seems obvious to me, but again I'm have no confirmation on that.  Regardless, something is happening.  Whether that is natural occurrence or human inflicted, I don't know for sure, but I aim to find out.  One thing is for sure, the Rec and Park needs to stop using toxic chemicals in our Lakes.  There are too many instances for Animals both Wild and Domestic to come in contact with these toxins.  At South Lake in particular, they have been trying to rid that Parrot Feather plant for years.  Concede people, its not going anywhere.  Just go there and cut it down regularly.  Good grief its not brain surgery.  You don't always have to run and grab poison.

I left a message for Rec and Park, but have not heard back yet. I will update when I have new information.  If anyone knows about this issue, please leave a comment. 

Ok so for the Bison Paddock update.  My previous post noted once again the dried landscape issue.  An issue because Bison are grazers.   Well, I posted last week that I saw the Bison back in the main meadow and grazing on the one decent patch of greenery.    Friday, what do I see?  



I see five sprinklers on in the back meadow!   I have never even seen those sprinklers before.  Curious though none in the front.  Anyway, I don't believe in coincidence. ... I asked the Gardener I stopped about the dead Fish tragedy, about the state of the meadow over the past few years.

- He said, the sprinklers were broken for some time. ... 

( In my opinion, two things about that.  I've seen sprinklers only one time, if ever.  Were they broken for years? )

- He said, they are on timers.  I asked if those were daily timers?  Noting that I wanted to come check on them regularly so would like to know when they go on.  He didn't know, but said not daily.  

-He noted the water restriction.  I pointed across to the lush green lawn by the Blossom Trees.  He laughed and said, yea that's a different section.   Basically noting that section gets delegated more water than the section the Bison Paddock is in.  ... Note that this dry meadow has been an issue for years, long before water restrictions.

SO, that proves my theory that the Rec and Park prioritizes their recreational and ornamental areas, and does not give a crap that the area where grazing Animals live, is flush with lush green landscape for them to GRAZE on!   It's Cruel.




 

  

1 comment:

  1. I am sick over this poisoning of the fish. They are totally using toxic stuff. Park and Rec needs to be accountable. Geez, just go out and pull the weeds. Glad the sprinklers are on for the Bison. It's only because you brought this to the forefront.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.