Thursday, June 9, 2022

A Few For The This And That File - Bison, Memorials, And That Dang Fence

I know, I know, where are those four posts in draft?  Believe me, they are coming soon!   I think about it everyday, and literally try to finish them every weekend.  Two subjects, both with two parts.  On my visit this past Tuesday, I saw a few things I need to add to the first pair, which may or may not now turn it into a three parter.

I also want to Thank those who take the time to comment on this blog.  I appreciate your effort and interaction.  I apologize that I rarely get to replying to comments.  I have the intention, it just never seems to happen, at least not in any timely manner.   Thank you, and please don't let my lack of response energy keep you from being a voice.

When I drove home yesterday, I witnessed a good grief chuckle as I drove by the Bison Paddock in the park.  Since I had a couple other small items, I figured I'd take this space to update on the Bison and post the others.

For those of you who regularly read this blog, you know I have taken issue with the state of the Bison meadow.  From information I've gotten through the years, it is allegedly the responsibility of the Rec and Park to maintain the grounds, so I take aim at them in regard to there continuously being little to no green landscape for these grazing Animals to graze on.  Most recently in my last post on May 30th...


Noting here that I did recently hear that years ago, the was a Keeper to-do list out there that noted to turn on sprinklers.  One Keeper in recent years told me they had never even seen sprinklers in the meadow,  but then I saw them on once months later, during the parks anniversary.  That was the only time and it was two years ago.  So, not sure what the deal is.   

This was the sight late yesterday afternoon, as I spied the Bison back in the main meadow for the first time in months.  


So yeah, the good grief chuckle is the coincidence of my issue, in relation to the herd's composition.  All eight Bison are literally grazing on the only primarily GREEN patch of landscape in the meadow.  ... Case and point.  

The other day I also saw fresh flowers in the bucket at Cobby Chimpanzee's memorial for the first time in months.  I look at this every visit.  When I pass the homes of Zoo Friends lost, I always greet their spirits and tell them I miss them.   At Chimps I also talk to Jamie, who left us after Cobby.  Her memorial was taken down months ago, which really bothers me.  I understand that Cobby lived here over fifty years, versus her two, but still, I think every Friend deserves equal recognition, as well as tribute.  

I'd like to see a permanent tribute to all three of our passed Chimpanzees.  There have been more, but our well known and longest lasting group is the four that lived in Triple Grotto for almost fifty years.

Everyone knows I love Cobs, so this is not a slight to his memorial.   Prior to the recent addition of fresh flowers, this memorial has been up a year now, and is looking extremely worn.  I understand not wanting to part with it, but it needs to be retired.   What doesn't need to be retired is a memorial to the three we've lost.  

There is a blank wall in the Dayroom that could be used in for an In Memorandum display. Our Tallulah who sadly passed before getting to share the experience of the new areas with her family, should not be forgotten.  Tallulah, Cobby and Jamie could all have a photo with life dates, and short bio, in the style of the memorial signs.  ... The Zoo needs to make this happen.  



Lastly, and I've mentioned this before, and nothing has changed.  This is the portion of the perimeter fence that is closest to the entrance.

There were banners there with Animal faces, that were removed for whatever reason.  


This irritates me.  The reason it irritates me is that it sums up the laziness that I've noted goes on at the Zoo.  Why couldn't these banners be removed in full?  Why does it look like they were ripped down and whatever didn't come down was just left?  Oh yeah, because that's exactly what appears to have happened.  Come on, have some pride in the place.  Does Zoo Director Tanya Peterson ever walk outside the parking lot on the days she manages to actually go into work?  The whole fence up to the old entrance looks like crap, do we have to have the one small part that is decent look trashed?  

It just shows a lack of care and that is shameful.  

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*







1 comment:

  1. Great photo proof that the Bison need and enjoy their greens!!! Shame on Park and Rec for not properly watering the area. I'd also like to see better memorials for the chimps.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.