Sunday, June 26, 2022

Celebrating Sukari At 20! - Happy Birthday Suki!

Continuing with the vibe of my last post, and writing a purely enjoyable post.  

My dear friend Suki (as I've affectionately called her from the start) turned Twenty years old on Thursday!  It was a long wait for the party, but so worth it to see this precious lady, enjoy special treats on her special day.   

Happy Birthday Sukari!
Thank you Kim
the eye contact ❤

Enjoy this video of her coming out and seeing all her Birthday treats.  


After she was done with her cake,  she shared a moment with her son Jasiri, who was interested in this present of a flexible ball, which he carried around in his mouth for some time. Another present was a supersized compressed catnip ball. Will be curious to see how they like that.



Then she grabbed the Zebra toy off it's legs and walked off with it, taking it to the other side of the enclosure.



This was immediately familiar and afterward I remembered when we celebrated her eighth Birthday, her first at the Zoo, she walked off carrying the topper to her cake!



Ironically, this was also the only other one of her Birthday celebrations I've seen.  I go there on her Birthday and wish her a wonderful day, but never seen another party happen.

Sukari was super shy when she first got here, rarely showing herself while in the Lion House.  When inside during the day, she stayed tucked in a not visible area for over six months.  In 2010, a friend and I had been making enrichment toys for the Big Cats. Their Keeper would put hers at the opening of that area, and we'd wait.  For along time, the toy would just sit there, and she'd enjoy it at night.  Eventually, we started seeing just her arm, reaching out to grab it, and then pulling it into her nest.  Then came her Birthday.  

We planned a huge celebration for her first Birthday at the Zoo.  I called it Suki's Ice Cream Social, as I made huge three+ ft long ice cream cone toys for the Lions, and party bags for all the Cats.  My friend Lee made themed mache' balls and a four layer cake.  I woke up that morning after thinking late into the night about the celebration and how we were going to get Sukari to enjoy her own party.  I had an idea, and shared with the Keeper.  When Sukari was outside,  she would often hang out in the cave tunnel that led into the Lion House.  When the Keeper would open the doors to the cave Suki would be sitting there, but make a quick dash.  I suggested we put her cake in the doorway, so when the door opened she'd see it before dashing off and hopefully come back for it.  The idea worked exactly as I had imagined!  She ran, and then came back, grabbed the cake, and took it to the yard.  



I ran out quick so not to miss any part of her with her cake.  When I got out there Tunya had it and Suki was sitting near by staring at him.  I said, Suks go get your cake lady.  She eventually went over and did some flirting with Tunya, and settled in for a bit of scent enjoyment, then grabbed the top half and walked off with it! (pic shared above) It was awesome!  From that day on, Sukari was always out for toys.  I was so happy to be a part of helping her feel more comfortable in her new home.

So many wonderful memories with this lady. I thought I'd share a bit about this beautiful and great Lioness for those who haven't known her as long.  You'll also learn about our other wonderful Lions who have touched my heart over the last twenty-five years.

Sukari was born at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.  She was transferred from there to Idaho Falls Zoo, where she gave birth to two litters, one female cub each.  Her daughters were transferred to Omaha Zoo, where they made her a grandma.  She moved to San Francisco in November 2009, to be the companion of our Tunya.

Tunya came to the Zoo as a cub in 1997 with two females.  In 2003 Kita gave birth to Jahari and Kimani.  Sadly Kita and three cubs didn't make it, and Jahari and Kimani had to be hand raised.  Tunya and Amanzi continued to live together.  Tunya was very much in love with Amanzi but unfortunately they were separated and Jahari was paired with Amanzi.  This happened in order for the Zoo to keep Jahari, a choice in my opinion that showed no empathy for Tunya and Amanzi's bond.  It broke my heart as Tunya would for years look down the row of bedrooms in the Lion House and see his lady with Jahari.  He lived with Kimani, but would often cry out to Amanzi. That thankfully changed with the arrival of Sukari.  Upsetting to us all that he was alone for a month while she was in quarantine, as he went on a bit of a hunger strike while he waited to meet his new lady love.  We were all so happy when they were finally together.  She healed his sweet lovelorn soul.  They really loved each-other.  ... Here's a video I made of them, set to the tune Sugar, Sugar.  I gave them the couple name of Tunari.


They had just over two years together before Tunya passed away.  Keepers had been already introducing Sukari to Jahari, in hopes of breeding them. It would have been wonderful to see Tunya finally get to be a Dad, as any cubs would have been raised by him and Sukari.  Thankfully she and Jahari got along, and when the time came, Amanzi welcomed Sukari, and she became an integral part of them becoming a Pride.  It was beautiful to see Sukari so easily accepted by them.  Our Lions are the best!  Although the integration bittersweet, she had now met and was living with her half-sister.  I had an early interest in doing the family trees of as many Zoo friends as I could.  So when Sukari came here, I did her family line and discovered she and our Amanzi shared the same mother, Angie.  Amanzi (like Tunya and Kita) was born in a South Africa breeding center, taken from her mother too soon, and shipped to SFZoo as a cub.  Angie, who was wild born, was then shipped to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, where she had Sukari and many other babies.  Our Cat Keeper didn't even know the connection.  It made me happy to see these beautiful Sisters enjoying a life together.



More happy moments for Sukari, as she and Jahari became parents to Jasiri.  Her two daughters were taken from her and hand-raised.  I don't know the true details about that, because she was immediately a wonderful mother to her son.  It's been a joy to watch her get to finally be a Mama.

I am so glad Sukari came to live here.  Certain things have always made me think she didn't much like her previous home.  I know she has been happy here, and I've been lucky to know her all these years. 

So happy to have been able to celebrate this milestone with my cherished friend.  Thank you Suki, look forward to many more!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*







1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday sweet Sukari. I love you and wish you many more!!!

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.