Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Park Sprinklers Flood Path - Not A Drop For The Bison - Fans Speak Out!

I monitored the Bison Cam all day yesterday, and didn't see sprinklers.   Today I've done the same, in addition to going by twice.  No Water for the Bison Paddock?  YET there was a row of nine sprinklers on Chain of Lakes between MLK and the Horse Corral.  Grass there is sure a hell of a lot greener than in the Bison and Rec/Park kept them on to the point where they were flooding the path and into the street.  This is the main point of this post.  

This is the kind of shit that pisses me off.   

I do want to reiterate that this is a supplemental vegetation issue, that is the responsibility of the SF Rec and Park.  The Rec and Park are required to maintain the enclosure, which means keeping the vegetation healthy.  The Rec and Park control the sprinkler system.  This is solely on them. ... The Bison are healthy and well taken care of by SFZoo Animal Care Staff.  They are fed daily and given extra food to compensate for what they are not getting from grazing.  They are not going hungry.  That said, they do need that green vegetation, not only for extra intake and but because grazing is part of their natural behavior.   It's what they do and that needs to be replicated in a captive environment.

The Sprinklers in the Bison need to be on everyday till there is green in that whole meadow.  I noted previously that a gardener told me the sprinklers were on a timer.  I don't care what time they go on, my question is What day, week or month can the Bison Paddock expect some attention to this situation?  The Rec/Park need to be transparent with the sprinkler schedule.

I have not heard back from anyone in the Rec and Park system.  I contacted a few other City Officials and asked, What can you do to help the Bison?  .... I'm waiting.

When I think about the Park Commission, I think about the Joint Zoo Committee Meetings I used to go to.  There are three Commissioners on that panel.  One time that has forever stuck in my mind is when I saw Zoo Director Tanya Peterson, and a Commissioner, literally patting each-other on the back.  If Tanya is so buddy buddy with the Rec and Park, I sure hope she is trying to remedy this vegetation situation.

The Petition is gaining some momentum.  If you haven't signed yet, please do!   Public outcry, speaks volumes.  Remember you can sign "name withheld".   

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/361/945/132/demand-san-francisco-rec-and-park-provide-bison-with-healthy-grazing-vegetation

Here are some Fans of our Beautiful Bison Ladies being a Voice for them!  Thank you to all who have signed.











Related Posts...

Sun 6.26.22


Mon 6.27.22



1 comment:

  1. To add further insult via Parks n Recreation website one of the pictures posted there is of bison grazing on green grasses!!! Is there absolutely anyone there in payed position via public taxes who knows anything about animal welfare?

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.