Sunday, July 30, 2023

Are The Animal Care Departments Fully Staffed?

Recently someone on staff asked me if I had seen the new videos on the Zoo's Tik Tok.  I hadn't.  I've noted before that I don't regularly visit the Zoo's social media platforms, mostly because it always seemed inevitable that something would irritate me.  If I do, I look at their Twitter if I'm looking for something specific, like to see of a Birthday was celebrated.  I was blocked from their Facebook years ago lol!  I can view on another profile, but I really don't have the energy to spend switching profiles.  That said, I do think since not everyone uses every platform, that all posts should be shared, on all platforms.  I understand building numbers on all, but I think it's more important to get the content out to as many people and in my opinion that means having all content the same on all platforms.

So, Tik Tok.  I've never used it, so joined just to view the Zoo's videos.  They had some fun stuff during Keeper week, which was what I was referred to view, but it was another video that I really liked.  I wanted to share it here, but I can't figure out how.  Check it out if you can. 

screencap of sfzoo tik tok

I found this in line with my own ideas of what the Zoo should be sharing.  I made a list during the shutdown, and how those types of behind the scenes peeks could help the Zoo.  That's all I'll offer in regard to ideas.

The main reason I really liked this video is because even for someone like me, who does know alot about the Zoo, I learned something.  I'm not sure that I realized that the Nutrition Department actually made ALL the diets, everyday.  I know that's where the Keepers get the food, but I don't remember knowing the details of preparation and delivery.  

Watching the video immediately had me wondering if this department is fully staffed.  Because I know how many Animals there are to care for, it certainly seems like alot of work for only three people.  I may be biased, because every time I'm at the Zoo, at least one Keeper mentions they are short staffed.  This has been going on for many years, at least four, but probably more.

The Animal Care Staff being short is shameful.  Does Zoo Director Tanya Peterson dictate this?  I certainly believe that it is lost on her in many ways that the Zoo is an Animal Care Facility above everything else.  While there continues to be non-animal care positions filled and promoted, with those staffers doing what to pull-down a full-time paycheck?  While those who take care of the Animals are run ragged.  It doesn't surprise me, because it's been made very clear in her actions, and lack of, that caring about the Animals is not Director Peterson's priority.  During the pandemic shutdowns, Animal Care staff were allegedly made to take pay cuts, while high level non-Animal Care staff, allegedly did not.  From the online tax forms, it seems other than some bonuses, none took a pay cut.  The most disgraceful is that of Director Peterson, who I still don't know what she did during the shutdown, other that use the fact that she kept Orangutans in caged tubes, as the butt of her social distancing joke, because she sure wasn't doing any fundraising.  

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*






No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.