Sunday, July 30, 2023

World Andean Bear Day & Shark Week

Before another week begins, I want to recognize World Andean Bear Day, which was celebrated Friday July 21, 2023.

I miss our Andean Bears, Wishbone and Annie.  I love them.  I feel bad about what happened to them, and believe they left us too soon.  In my opinion, their deaths, at least Wishbone's, could have been avoided.  So, when I saw it was Andean Bear Day, even though they brought me so many smiles, I thought of them with sadness.

Precious little Annie fell ill allegedly with a respiratory issue, but I heard that was clearing up, when she started having trouble standing up.  She passed away while still in the hospital.  At the time, 2010, losing Zoo Friends was new, and I don't remember investigating the specifics any further.

I had been uncomfortable with the Andean Bears living exclusively on concrete for some time.  With the nature of Annie's passing, I was moved to crusade for Wishbone to get even just a small patch of grass.  I had never done anything like that, but something needed to be done, to bring some comfort to his living situation. 

I started a blog dedicated to my crusade.  I also contacted members of the Zoological Society & Recreation and Park Dept. both failed managing entities of the Zoo.  

This post goes into detail why I feel this was necessary.  http://projectgetwishbonegrass.blogspot.com/2011/05/project-get-wishbone-grass.html

screencap from post dated March 7, 2012
titled, RIP Wishbone - SFZOO Bear Dies 
After Years Of Living On Concrete

I will note that this was not news to Zoo Director Tanya Peterson, as in 2009, I sent her an email detailing my concerns.  I believe if she had shown the Andean Bears some empathy,  Annie and Wishbone would have lived longer lives. 

Here is an excerpt:

http://projectgetwishbonegrass.blogspot.com/2011/05/andean-bear-grotto-letter-to-zoo.html

I hindsight after crusading for the Chimps, I feel there was more that I should have thought to do, but it was early in my advocacy missions, and thought I was doing what I could.  I'm sorry Wishy for not doing more.

View precious Wishbone enjoying some Christmas Tree Enrichment here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NzmqQ_M5rgs&pp=ygUVbGVvODExc2YgYW5kZWFuIGJlYXJz

I blame Zoo Director Tanya Peterson for many Animal cruelty situations, and a few deaths, Wishbone's being one of them.  His death could have been avoided had she shown some compassion for his living environment.  Director Peterson has failed in so many ways, but the one's that involve the lives of the Zoo's Animal Residents, is unconscionable and unforgivable.  

**********

This past week was Shark Week, started years ago by the Discovery Channel and it's viewing celebration of Sharks.  I'm reminded every year of the Awesome recognition our beloved female Lion Amanzi got, when I sent in her photo to the Discovery Channel and they picked it to be featured on their website, in their top favorites!

This photo is from 2010, when my friend Lee and I were making Enrichment Toys for the Cats every week.  Lee picked the Under the Sea theme, and made this paper mache Shark, which Amanzi came out and ran straight for!  She and Jahari, and the rest of the Cats had so much fun, and I'm so happy Discovery Channel recognized our precious Amanzi!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*






No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.