Sunday, July 30, 2023

Lulu is here! ... Will She Be Able To Keep Her Name?

As noted in my last post, my assumption from the post Lee Richardson Zoo made about last chance to see female Lion Lulu before she left for San Francisco Zoo, was she would be traveling immediately, was right.  On my visit last Monday, I learned she had arrived!

I was told that she is in the Lion House, and that she and Jasiri have seen eachother! Also, that when he is out in the yard if he hears her vocalizing, he is alert and looking toward the cave that leads inside!  Finally, joyous relief that Jasiri is no longer alone.  Happy tears were welling for sure!  

I hope the Jaguar proofing in the neighboring yard will be done soon so she can have outside access as soon as possible. Hoping once her quarantine is done, introductions go smooth and they like eachother.  

*****************

So as expected since it was on the ZooFest auction, male Jaguar Tikal, has been renamed.  As well, they threw in renaming female Ocelot Tica as well.  

screencap sfzoo newsletter

Anyone who knows me, I'm a name purest and this is a real issue for me.  It hurts my soul when these Beings get stripped of their identity.  I'm not going to rehash much, all my renaming rants about this can be found by searching this blog.  That said, I just don't understand the disrespect.  I get that it's a way to raise funds, but why can't Donors just be satisfied with Sponsoring an Animals care, and with a plaque at their home stating such?  Is this even a presented option?  I have to think it's not.  So, in my opinion this is another mismanagement that falls under lack of care to not only find creative ways to raise funds, and laziness in more fundraising efforts that might augment any less amounts not raised from stealing identities.

Anyway, hopefully Animal Care staff will continue to use Tikal and Tica's original names.  Which should have ALWAYS been protocol, but cruely has not. This has happened more in recent times, but wasn't always the case.  Our poor Black Rhino Balozi, was renamed after a damn ball player, and Keeper's use that name.  Note that I dont fault the Keepers, they have to do what they are told. Although I hate all name changes, renaming Balozi is probably the biggest name crime, as his name literally means Ambassador in Swahili.  There is no more perfect name for an Endangered Species.  There are also two Giraffes, Willow and Amani, that were renamed and Keepers use those names.  One being Barbro, which is completely ridiculous and frankly offensive, as she is I think the fourth Giraffe to be named that.  Some way it's related to the Donors, but seriously, how long must that go on?

Anyway, while we wait to see if Lulu will be able to keep her name, please say Hi to her, Tikal, and Tica using their given names, so they don't forget who they are!  

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.