Thursday, July 20, 2023

World Chimpanzee Day! - Thankful We Still Have Our Precious Chimps

Last Friday, July 14th was World Chimpanzee Day.  I am Thankful to be able to spend that day, with our precious Chimpanzee friends.  My long-time lady friend Minnie came to the window to say Hi.  Interactions with her are priceless, and still cause me to put my hand to my heart, as tears well up a bit.  It's something I cherish and never take for granted.  

This year, as I have been recently trying to finish all my draft posts that document mismanagement by our San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson, the horrific disregard for our original Chimpanzees, Minnie, Maggie and Cobby, has come to mind.   It is never forgotten.  

Most know this shameful action, but I like to make my posts stand-alone for anyone happening by to understand.  In 2015, SFZoo Director Peterson, decided to kick-out our senior trio.  She planned to send them packing from their home of over 45 years, and for the girls, the only home they have ever known, instead of making it a priority to build them a new home within the Zoo.   

Knowing of my love for the Chimps and being vocal about any wrongs, especially related to the Animals, a Keeper told me of Director Peterson's plan.  A chill came over my body, as they said, "What are you going to do about it?".   I said, " They aren't fucking leaving on my watch!".   

All my Roaring, public outrage and the help of Dan Noyes from KGO News, these babies stayed, and they got the new home they were promised in 1997.  

I delivered the wonderful news to my Chimpers:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KoN7uG9uEAg&t=5s&pp=ygUUbGVvODExc2YgY2hpbXBzIHN0YXk%3D

I cried then and I'm crying now rewatching it.  

For anyone interested in more details, you can visit my blog dedicated to this despicable event:

http://savesfzoochimps.blogspot.com/2015/01/welcome-help-save-san-francisco-zoo.html

In recent years the Zoo has been celebrating these World Animal Awareness Days (as well the Animal's Birthdays!)  I say recent because there was a time when none were celebrated.  Chimpanzee Day, Polar Bear Day, Rhino Day, nothing.  Very big fail.  These Days are designated to not only celebrate these species, but bring awareness to the plight of those living in the wild.   I tried to call attention to them and this fail repeatedly, but for years still not a mention on the Zoo's social media or anywhere on the grounds.  Thankfully that has changed now.   So much to be gained by these celebrations and putting forth the awareness. 

That all said, as I'm writing this, many celebrations run through my mind. Considering my mission to document mismanagement, it's definitely inline to mention that I've never once seen or heard of Director Peterson ever making an appearance at or mumbling some words about, any of these Awareness Day celebrations.   tsk tsk.  Not that I think she has anything worthy to contribute, but geez she's the damn Director, she should at least act like she cares.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*





No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.