Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Pandas in San Francisco?

The other night a friend sent me a news article, with the notation, "In case you haven't seen..."  I had not.

Before even reading it, my mind was in a tizzy!  So much running through it at once.

First, it sparked coincidental, as that same friend and I had an interaction when she alerted me recently that China was reconsidering allowing Giant Pandas to once again be sent to California.  My response to her hoping for a "miracle" that we get one in San Francisco, was, ... 

"Yes (it would take) a miracle!   One of my news alerts for the Zoo had an article the other day and the lead-in, mentioned Pandas coming to California.  I assumed back to San Diego.  I checked news items and indeed it mentioned San Diego as the previous, but only California as the future.  So who knows.  I don't see it.  I would think SDZ or Oakland would have a better chance.  That said, if the donor who funded his personal Want for Madagascar, would divert millions from that into building an enclosure for them next to Grizzly Gulch, it would be quite a coup!  and increase membership and gate sales in general." 

... Unfortunately there has not been a responsible and well thought out plan for what is best for the Zoo to thrive, at any time during Tanya Peterson's fifteen year reign as Zoo Director.  So, I don't imagine how this could even happen.

Recalling this conversation, was running parallel to the reality of the situation.  Much like when Director Peterson actively and allegedly aggressively, sought to acquire Orangutans.  Upon hearing they were a done deal and on the way, my first thought was, Where are they going?  If you are not familiar with the cruel housing shit-show that our poor Orangutans were put through, search this blog for "Orangutans".  I wondered if Peterson would keep the Pandas in some quarantine box, akin to how she kept the Orangutans in caged tubes, and then after just toss the Pandas in some antiquated enclosure, like she did with the Orangutans.  Thinking about another large Animal coming to the Zoo with no appropriate place to live is very upsetting.  I know how this plays out.  Bright and shiny new toys are acquired, touted with excitement to draw people in and then their needs disregarded.  The afore mentioned Orangutan situation is still a travesty. The enclosure they are in is sixty years old.  It should have been completely renovated, yet not one thing was done FOR them.  As usual Director Peterson cried poor, and they remain in a sad enclosure.  Same thing happened with our first Komodo Dragon.  Peterson promised a new home within a year.  Then she allegedly vetoed all proposed plans,  boo-hoo'ing no money, and he languished in a terrarium, as among other offenses, he grew and grew, eventually even too big to get through the opening to his night quarters.  You can search this blog for "Komodo Dragon" or "Falcor" for more details on his sad life at SFZoo.

As much as I would love to see Pandas here again (I saw them in the 80s and it remains a wonderful memory), and I think having Pandas here would do wonders to uplift the Zoo in many ways, I do not think it should happen until changes are made.  It should in no way happen,...

1. ... while Tanya Peterson is Director.  

*2. ... unless there is definite locked funds for an appropriate enclosure. 

3. ... until an appropriate enclosure is completed.

That all said, the whole money thing is disturbing.  If someone wants to donate for Pandas, they should have helped the Orangutans to have a better home.  That said, the money having Pandas would most likely bring in, could fund a complete overhaul for the Orangutans.  

... Again because of Director Peterson's mismanagement and misuse of what little funds the Zoo apparently has, is why this shouldn't happen while she is still Director.

So, let's move on to the news articles.  As I'm writing this now, I went back to the article from SF Standard that was initially sent to me.  I thought I had read it, but I guess in my tizzy, I didn't.  I had screencapped from the only other article I read, from KRON4, to include in this post, as what I read was so outrageous and frankly delusional.  Now, I'm even more sure, SFZoo should not acquire Pandas.

First the KRON4 ones...


https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/san-francisco-asks-chinas-president-for-a-panda/

My reaction to this:

Good grief!  We have no Asian Conservation zone that's specifically designed for a Panda Reserve.  Does she (Mayor Breed) even know how Director Peterson was keeping Orangutans?  Like the folks on the Zoological Board and at the Rec and Park Dept, the Mayor has no clue about what is happening at the Zoo.  I'm not trying to be mean, just saying it like it is.  And if anyone from the Board or City related paid the Zoo any care and attention, it would not be in the state it is.

Additionally, the reporter is obviously another person who does not go to the Zoo, nor did they bother to fact check this supposed "zone".  The Red Panda, Snow Leopard, Asian Rhino and Orangutans, are all in different areas of the Zoo.

This from the SF Standard...


https://sfstandard.com/2024/01/08/panda-san-francisco-zoo/

My reaction to this: 

For starters I just checked the website and I don't see anything about Asian Conservation, and certainly not a specific zone.  Not sure what planet any of these people are on, but nothing is specifically designed for a future fantasy, and certainly not for a Panda Reserve.  

Additionally, this article lays out the cost, and with the rental fee to China, and what is sure to cost in an excess of that twenty-five year old enclosure price tag, this is an outrageous dream to chase.  

That said,... 

*I previously noted about locked funds and such, but now, I have to say, I do not think any donor money should pay for any expenses involving Pandas. So, unless the City of San Francisco is going to completely fund this venture, it is irresponsible to use funds from any other sources to bring Giant Pandas to SFZoo at this time.  Our Zoo needs alot of work since under Director Peterson too many things have been ignored, either because of "no money", or for unnecessary things that money somehow is found for and spent irresponsibly.

So yeah, bottom line, the City needs to pay for the entire expense associated with Giant Pandas coming to San Francisco, and for the duration of their time here.

The articles note the Zoo did not respond with comment on the Panda news, so who knows where this want originated, with Mayor Breed or Director Peterson, or if the two have even spoken about it.   

Previous Post:  2024 or Bust!

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2024/01/2024-or-bust.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.