Sunday, August 25, 2024

Zoo Continues To Create Illusions - Using Our Orangutans

In Celebration Of Our Orangutans, who got NOTHING special for World Orangutan Day, I got a series of posts related to them, already started.  I know after my many posts in the five+ years since they have been here, people are probably thinking, What more is there?  Until these two get a new enclosure, there is always going to be more.

My friend and I were there to Celebrate Our Orangutan Friends.  We were lucky to see Ollie spend a decent amount of time outside, working enrichment items for food.  Even Amoi made an appearance and stayed out a bit longer than usual.  


I'm going to go out of my norm of liking to post in chronilogical order and begin with World Orangutan Day, which was last Monday, August 19.  I made that my Zoo day, and knew them getting a "Celebration" was a crap shoot.  Unfortunately I was right.  The Orangutans got NOTHING special.  And, I just don't understand why.

Additionally,  there was no educational or awareness signage, no staff member talk, no nothing.  There did not appear to be a celebration of any kind.  So, I'm not sure what is meant by this mention in the Zoo's email Newsletter, that came out prior to that day.

To me, the use of the word "Celebrate" indicates, a Celebration.  This was not the first time in the same week that whoever is writing these blurbs, is seemingly being creative with wording, to create an illusion that there are special things happening at the Zoo, for certain events.  

The week before (on August 15), was this month's RecPark Commission Meeting.  Admittedly I've just started following this.  Not sure where I've been for sixteen years, only hip to the Joint Zoo Committee Meeting, but I'm here for it now.  When I get time, I'll check back in the past for what gems might be had.  Anyway, in addition to a Staffer giving an in person report, there are documents posted.  This was included for last week's meeting.  

So, seemingly yet another use of the word "celebrate" to create an illusion that there would be something for Indonesian Independence Day (on Friday August 16).  I was there that day and again there was NOTHING!  No special treats for, or awareness signage at, Orangutans or any of the other Indonesian Resident's enclosures.  

So, after Orangutan Day,  I emailed two departments at the Zoo, and asked Why Nothing for Orangutan Day.  


< Hello,

I'm writing to ask why there was no mention at the Zoo about Orangutan Day, this past Monday.

If I remember correctly, past events, like the Penguin Parade were handled by Operations Dept.  So, I pose the question to this department.  If there is a different department, please advise or forward there.

The Animail newsletter stated, "...as we celebrate..."  Yet there was no educational or awareness signage, no staff member talk, no nothing.  There did not appear to be a celebration of any kind.

Will be interested in the response to my lead-in question.

Thank you, >


I didn't expect a reply, and didn't get one.  I think my question is valid. ...  There is a huge lack in celebrating special dates, that not only provide fun enrichment for the Animals, but viewing enjoyment, as well as species awareness and education, for visitors.

Anyway, here's a past Orangutan Day celebration from 2020.  Ollie and Amoi had a wonderful party in the Chimp yard.  Note in the video how much Amoi loves using the enclosure netting.  Every time she had access to the Chimp yard, this is what she primarily did. Something she sadly hasn't had available to her for over three years, because Director Peterson would not approve the  renovation of their enclosure to include netting, or anything else FOR them for that matter.  

https://youtu.be/-jaXezBDzGM 

Director Peterson continues to use Ollie and Amoi, to create a false narrative about their life at the Zoo.  Like putting an alleged $40,000 garden in front of their enclosure to distract from how awful it is, or when Director Tanya Peterson made a joke about the Orangutans social distancing during the pandemic, when they had no choice, she kept them living in caged tubes.    It's upsetting how Peterson pimps the Orangutans to suit her agenda, yet she has not cared about them since before their arrival. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


1 comment:

  1. It seems that all present management celebrates is itself. The animals just happen to provide zoo ‘leaders’ healthy paychecks and exclusive social circles.
    I can almost hear the laughter at how duped the public truly is, and the clanking of glasses as big houses are purchased.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.