Friday, June 19, 2020

Re-Opening The SFZoo - Letter to SF Public Health Officer

It's been a busy week, and many things I've wanted to document.  May back post them to keep in chronological order.  For now, I started this letter last night and just sent it.  I'm hoping those reading this will also express their thoughts to this City Official, and ask their Friends and Family to do the same.  It is important for the Animals Lives, and the future of the Zoo that there is no further delay in Re-Opening the Zoo. 

There was a meeting of the Board of Supervisors Tuesday.  By all accounts, the only hold-out for not re-opening the Zoo, is the Department of Health Officer.

This is a Time Sensitive matter.  Thank You to anyone who can take a few minutes to help our Zoo Friends.

Contact San Francisco Public Health Officer
Dr Tomas Aragon ... aragon@berkeley.edu

My Letter, in case anyone needs reference points. 

June 18, 2020

Dr Aragon,

I am writing to you in regards to the San Francisco Zoo.  As I understand it, as the SF Public Health Officer, the City allowing the Zoo to Re-Open is based on your approval, which to date, you have not given.  ... If this is incorrect information, Please Forward this correspondence to the appropriate person. 

Keeping the Zoo from opening creates a great financial hardship.  While there are other businesses you can say are feeling they same, the Zoo is foremost, an Animal Care Facility.  There are Lives at stake.  The Animals NEED Food and Medical Care.  The Zoo has struggled financially for many years, and denying it the opportunity to create some revenue at this time is irresponsible.  

Initially, I found Zoos being in Phase 3, at a State Timeline of mid-August, to be outrageous, as people flocked to the beaches, and subsequent protests, with no Distancing, was unjustified. ...  Then I was told that there was a concern on the part of the Health Department about, "... the transmission of the virus to and from Animals."  There is no argument that is a valid concern, at a certain level, but as I understand it, not in relation to Re-Opening. ... I am most connected to the Zoo's Chimpanzees and when Covid came to attention here (pre- Shutdown), because of their genetic relation to Humans, and how close visitors can get to them, they were my main concern.  As well, it has now been documented in Big Cats, other exotics and domestic Animals.  

I am not a medical professional, so I am in no way questioning your position on this, but because of the detriment not re-opening poses to the Animals who Live at the Zoo, I must express what I know to be true. 

Noting, I am not some random Zoo Visitor.  In regard to the SFZoo, I am an Advocate for the Animals.  I have kept a very close watch on everything that goes on there for over ten years.  Additionally, through this passion and research, I have contacts in other Zoos, and Sanctuaries.

When I was alerted to this transmission concern, I immediately sought knowledge from someone high level in the U.S. Zoo world.  It was confirmed that it was a concern and (obviously) safety protocols were being taken in all Zoos by Animal Care Staff to prevent transmission, but that transmission "has not been a concern in relation to re-opening" any Zoos nationwide. 

The SFZoo has set safety protocols, that are in line with what other Zoos are doing.  Frankly, from the stand-point of Human safety, being in a controlled environment like the Zoo, is much safer than going to the Market, where people do not maintain Distancing, and do not properly wear Face Covering.  

In regard to the safety of the Animals, as I understand it, the Zoo has closed off the path to the Chimpanzees, and also provided barriers to distance visitors from other Animal exhibits that may be accessible closer than six feet.  

These alterations seem more than adequate to provide a safe environment for the Animals and Visitors.   There is no apparent logical reason to delay the San Francisco Zoo from Re-Opening, and essentially keeping the Animals fed and properly cared for.  Delaying Re-Opening is Cruel.

Please reconsider your position immediately.

Thank You for your time. 

Kim ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.