Thursday, June 4, 2020

Re-Opening Updates and Curiosities

As I continue to read about what other Zoo's are doing in regard to Re-Opening, I also try to learn and understand the position of California Government that puts Zoos in such a delayed category.

One thing different I learned this week, was that at our local level, there is a concern in regard to the Transmission of Covid, by and to Animals.

This was the first time I had heard this as a reasoning, so I inquired with several people I know from other Zoos.  Two out of State and one in CA.  This new reason, is noted as coming from the CDC, as well as local Government.  One of the reasons I find it curious, is that other U.S. Zoos have opened, and if it was a concern from a National department, then how could other Zoo's have opened?  

I'm not saying this isn't a valid concern, I'm just curious if it is a concern that factors in regard to re-opening.  The two out of State said it was not a factor in re-opening.  All said it was a concern, while noting that most exhibits have a distance of six feet from visitors, or are behind glass.  

I mentioned in a previous post that I had a concern for the SFZoo Chimpanzees from the moment this pandemic started.  The new yard allows people to be very close and I immediately thought the path needed to be blocked off.  Of the Zoo Animals, I would assume that of most concern are the Great Apes, being closely related to Humans, and Big Cats, because of the ones at Bronx Zoo who contracted Covid.  I would also assume that any Animal exhibit that is not a six foot distance, would have the barrier pushed back.  That all said, if these steps are taken, would that not be enough to protect the Animals? 

I would never be on the suggesting end of a rush to open if the Animals were in vulnerable positions.  My main concern with delayed re-opening is the continued financial hardship.

If this information carries any weight to the reasoning, I wondered if the Petition was even worthy, because a "transmission" issue was never brought up as a concern for re-opening.  I decided to stop networking the Petition.  I still think based on the information that is out there, the complete disregard for  distancing at mass gatherings, and the comparison made to the re-opening of the Botanical Garden, the Petition is valid.  It didn't catch on within California, and that was what I wanted.  It did bring awareness, get some good comments from signers, and provided a place to spell out the contradictions as I saw them, and send them to Governor Newsom.  

Petition Comments. 
Thank to those who signed 
and left Comments.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.