Saturday, June 20, 2020

Three Lives Lost - Mountain Lion Roaming SF Suspected

The Mountain Lion roaming the City this past week, is suspected to have entered the Zoo and killed a Red Kangaroo and two Wallaroos.  

I followed the story of the Mountain Lion and its rescue by Animal Care and Control, and taken to Oakland Zoo for evaluation.  There have been several of these instances and each time I wish our San Francisco Zoo was set-up to intake Wildlife in need.  After evaluation, this yearling was taken by Fish and Wildlife and released.  It seemed like this story turned out ideally.  Unfortunately, only for the Mountain Lion.

I read the Heartbreaking news from the Zoo yesterday late afternoon.  Been shedding so many tears, it's just so awful.


What a horror for a captive Animal to experience. For any Animal, but for captives, whose live is peaceful and safe, with no fear of predators, it had to be terrifying. Just too horrible to imagine those moments.

Hard to know the specifics, not much information provided.  I thought they were kept inside barn at night (assuming it happened overnight) but another article noted they were found in "outside exhibit".  There have been multiple Mtn Lion sightings in the past year, as well there is a huge Coyote population in the City.  There is the possibility of a predator threat, I would think none of the Animals in the collection should have outside access at night.

I'm so Sad for this loss, especially for the Kangaroo and Wallaroo Families, who have witnessed this and lost their loved ones.

RIP Precious Roos.  Bless Your Souls.


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.