Saturday, June 6, 2020

The World Lost A Gem Today - Former Keeper Passes Away

Tears still streaming as I heard not long ago that my Friend John passed away this afternoon.  I sought out John Alcaraz in 2014 while doing research for the Cobby Movie.  Lucky to have found him.  Thank you to my Friend Lila for the introduction.

Some of you may remember John from the News piece done during my Chimp Crusade.  John was our Senior SFZoo Chimps first Keeper.  He worked with many Animal species there, primarily Apes, and LOVED his Orangutans. 

People still ask me about him.  He was a big part of the Zoos history, so I wanted to share this tribute with those who knew him and for those who didn't.

We talked by phone often.  I learned from him every conversation. Such a smart and beautiful Soul. He welcomed me into his life, sharing stories, I'll always cherish.  He had a full and interesting life.  I always wished he had gotten his adventures down on paper.   He turned 94 in April.

An article John shared with me, highlighting some of his amazing work with the San Francisco Zoo Great Apes.


Below are photos he shared with me of his Orangutan Family.  I owed him some photos of the Chimps new home, and like so many things in my life, I never got to it.  I feel like shit for that.  I talked to his spirit after hearing the news.  Hoping it will take a trip to the Zoo with me to see our Chimp Friends in their new home, that he helped me champion for.

This man was a Gem.  The World could use more like him.

RIP my dear Friend, lovely to have known you.

John and his Orangutan Family


photos courtesy of 
John Alcaraz

John sits with young Oliver among the trees and reads to him. It was taken during the Trees Project, developed by John, which allowed the young Orangutans to play in the trees in the back of the Zoo near Gorillas.
photo courtesy of 
Lila Talcott Travis

Oliver now lives at Birmingham Zoo and is the mate to another former SFZoo Orangutan, Lipz.  They have a Daughter Nairi.  Their story is a beautiful thing. 

1 comment:

  1. What a touching tribute. The world and the animal kingdom did truly lose a wonderful friend. I wished i had met him.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.