Friday, June 26, 2020

Zoo Will Open on June 29th! - Oh NO It Won't!

I can't even describe how pissed off I am right now.  Not at the Zoo, but at this whole Pandemic situation in general.  I have two major issues with Covid coming to Northern California.  First, the Shutdown of the Zoo, and second the people of San Francisco, who have exhibited Self-Entitled behavior in mass for the past couple decades, but have really kicked into overdrive during this Health Crisis. 

So yes, the title is right, the Zoo will not be Re-Opening on Monday June 29th as reported in the news yesterday.

Mayor London Breed, who visited the Zoo yesterday (Thursday), and gave the okay to reopen, announced today, that do to concerns in case surges, businesses scheduled to re-open, will not.

This was going to be a very different post today.   I waited for the re-opening news all day yesterday.  Relaoding the Zoo webpage,

as it went from this, ...

to this!

to this! 

I was going to report the re-opening news, and direct to the website in regard to Reservation information.  This page came-up when you closed the above one.
 
Below this contained all the re-opening information, changes and rules.  I didn't screen-cap as I figured those who wanted to see it could go to website.  Now I don't see it there.

Now, unfortunately this post is a rant.  These words have to be said, because this delay could be for months if the "surge in cases" reason is the continued concern.  Places will never be allowed to re-open under a surge concern.

It has been documented all over the States, that places re-opening are seeing surges.  It's going to happen because people are gathering in mass, going to the beach, protests, wherever, not distancing, and all over in general not following rules, not wearing face-covering and not distancing.  It's epidemic in San Francisco, and if our City Officials and Health Department don't see that, then they haven't been to Golden Gate Park.  

I'm out three times a week.  Each of those mornings I drive through the Park at 8a.  I'm in and out of the Park through the day.  The majority of people are NOT wearing Face Covering.  That means, No Covering, not even around their neck in case they pass someone.  As well, the majority Do Not make any attempt to Distance when they pass someone. Hell, there is absolutely no distancing happening in stores and people don't even wear their face-covering properly. This is all day, everyday.  San Francisco will never get out of this Crisis with the majority of people giving the rules the middle finger.  

Other than being extremely irritated by the disrespect to everyone and everything by these offenders, I would have no problem letting Covid sort out the population of Self-Entitled, BUT these Anti-Maskers and Anti-Distancers are preventing the Zoo from opening.  These people who aren't following the rules, and I'm sure not using hand sanitizer when their out either, are keeping the Zoo closed.  They are keeping other places closed too, but my concern is for the Zoo.  And, Yes!  At this point, in regard to what's happening outside my home, I really only care if I get to see the Chimps and other Zoo Friends again.  I could just cry and probably will later.  I'm also concerned for the future of the Zoo if they do not start generating revenue. 

So, my grief I guess is with the City.  I hate to point fingers, but seriously, I have watched as State and local Officials applaud the great job we are doing.  Again, these people obviously never go to the Park, or they would not think that way.  This situation is never going to end if there are not repercussions for those who don't follow the rules.  If there had been back in March we might have been done with this.

All this said, if City Officials will not allow the Zoo to open, then they also need to close some of the places they allowed to open, like the Botanical Garden.  I go to the BG each morning I'm out, and even during the early hour 8-9a, the majority of people have their masks off when inside.  There is no monitoring inside, people left to do whatever.  At least at the Zoo there would be monitoring.  

Bottom line, No reason the Zoo can't open.  People have to follow the rules or they will have to leave. If the Botanical Garden can be open, and its free flow in Stores, No reason the Zoo can't open.  

Sorry I'm just repeating myself now.  I am so upset I can't even think straight.  I know it might sound ridiculous to be upset by not being able to go to the Zoo, but it's a huge part of my life, and I'm F-ing over being denied because people can't cover their damn face holes!

2 comments:

  1. We JUST talked through the new Zoo rules/possibility of going next week with our daughter right before the new announcement came down. This sucks. I've been checking your blog periodically because I know how much you care (we've spoken in person a couple times). I'm so sorry. I know this is super disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amanda ... Thanks for the comment. Sorry late to publish, so upset at the news, had to take yesterday off and try not to think about the Zoo. ... Thank you, it is super disappointing, and very upsetting. I'm sorry for your family getting hopes up too. Hopefully we will all be back there soon seeing all the Zoo Friends! Thank you for reading the blog. Make sure to say Hi if you see me!

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.