Wednesday, June 3, 2020

San Francisco Botanical Gardens Re-Opens, Why Can't SFZoo?

As noted in my previous posts, I find it curious that the Botanical Garden is allowed to open, and the Zoo is forced to wait a probable additional eleven weeks.

Prior to the Shutdown I have been a Botanical Gardens visitor at least a couple times a week.  My first visit back was this past Tuesday, June 2, their second day since re-opening.  I made  several videos showing the safety protocols they had in place, but just decided to use one directed at Governor Newsom.  It's been posted to my YouTube since that day.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WJHHfPHntG4

So, I usually go early to avoid people,  so I got there just after 8a.  Since it was during the free admission time, I didn't have to show my e-ticket.  So, if you go before 9a, not online ticketing necessary.  After you must go to the website, at least a day in advance and reserve a ticket.  No charge for Residents and Members, but you still need a ticket.

In addition to online ticketing, which is their way to monitor attendance, there was a marked distancing queue at the entrance, Social Distancing, Pass to the Right, and Single File signs sporadically through the Garden.  That said, I don't think there was enough of those signs.  I also think the one sign regarding Face Covering is ill placed.  It is at the entrance but side facing, on one side.  There needs to be one at the ticket booth, as well as signs about the place.  By the time 10a rolled around, more than half the people weren't wearing masks.  When I asked about enforcement as Re-Opening stipulation is Face Covering and Distancing, staff said people have to have one on to enter, but once inside they are on the honor system.  They said they would not ask people to put them on even if they saw them without once inside.  I find this bothersome, because it is part of the City Order.  As for the visitors, no surprise that people would have a total lack of respect for the privileged of getting to go back to the Garden.  Humans have been a disappointment through out this whole pandemic.  What is the big deal that people can't wear a mask?
Screencap from SF Rec and Park
Email Newsletter

Additionally, I was surprised that the benches were all open, as I heard the ones at the Zoo will be taped off, assuming that is because they are communal. Speaking of communal I think its irresponsible to leave drinking fountains open but maybe its just me and it's acceptable under health department guidelines.

Ok, so comparing to the Zoo.  I've heard some of what the Zoo will be doing, as expected Face Covering, Distancing. Inside areas, playground, closed.  I'm assuming since they will have to monitor a reduced attendance size, they too will be using online ticketing.  The only difference is the Zoo has Security, Interpretive Guides, and Docents, so I hope that unlike the Botanical Garden, they will be reminding people to keep Faces Covered and stay Distanced.

So again, based on the fact that the majority of visitors to the Garden are not following guidelines and that staff are not monitoring compliance, I don't see why the Zoo can not open.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Blogger's Statement
"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."
For Full Statement see this post:
https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.