Saturday, April 20, 2024

My Reactions To Chronicle Article - Wednesday April 17, 2024

I've read the article once, and at that time, I made notes as I read on what I wanted to react to.  I'll expand on those points soon, but first I want to give my overall opinion.

While I've known about the article since the start, I never knew what the angle or goal was for the reporter.  I was happy that it focused on Animal Welfare, unlike the wasted unknown author Petition from last year.  Most of the issues brought up I knew about and have documented, with the exception of the Bear "chase" and Penguin death (RIP).  The later very upsetting, as it did echo what happened to Kabibe (infant Gorilla).  Both so horrific and heartbreaking.  Admittedly, I have trouble understanding these tragedies.  So many, too many incidents, that I was left wondering why nowhere in the article did the reporter, question the core of who is responsible in these incidents.  To me there was only reporting what was given to her in interviews, and the slick PR statements made by Zoo related Reps.  There seemed to be no additional investigating or questioning.  I would have pushed those Reps with questions that couldn't be answered so smoothly.  Indeed the article will peak minds but won't hold them long, and I don't think will do much to help get the change in management there that's desperately needed, which I have to assume was the goal of those who came forward and spoke out.

I'm very happy that ex-Orangutan Keeper Melissa brought the sad plight of Ollie and Amoi to the forefront.  Those who have been following my blog since before their arrival five years ago, know I have written extensively about their life here.  The cruelty that Director Tanya Peterson inflicted on them should have been enough to get her fired, yet she's still there ruining the place.  

Additionally, I had been doing endless documentation on the threat to our Animals lives by visitors breaching barriers.  The stream of people daily who hang their kids over the barrier at Code Red Animal enclosures, could one day get one of our Animals killed.  I've seen the Target team rifle ready and its scary and sad.  I stopped documenting because No one cares.  

Starting at the beginning of the article, with former Society Board Chair Ed Poole.  This guy is too much.  He makes multiple statements through-out the article, the first of which is, “predicated on outdated or simply untrue information” and were “uniformly objectionable and baseless.”    His inability to accept what's been presented to him, is truly disgusting, and not surprising.  No Zoo related Rep is going to admit even the possibility of wrong doing.  They are always going to have a general slick answer.  Him bringing up compliance, and other non-issue related wording to deflect is useless babel. And for him to note there was no safety issue to public, is offensive to Staff and Animals.  Staff could be in danger in a situation like with the Bears, and the Bears could get a bullet to the head if they had made contact with the Keeper. Those are both serious outcomes. Yet ok according to Poole because no public in danger? ... That all said, again, the reporter should have pushed and asked, Since you're so vehement to dismiss as untrue, what proof do you have that these things are untrue?  Do you go to the zoo and see what's going on?  Do you ask questions about what's going on?  Do you look at and for things with your own eyes to see what's going on?  Or do you just take Director Peterson's word on everything?  How many times did you walk the Zoo grounds last year?  How often do you talk to Animal Care Staff?  

Poole was asked about the Orangutans situation, which he did not talk about.  Yea, he didn't talk about because he either knew nothing about it, or didn't care. Either way, complete negligence of management duties.

Another Poole statement, "...the zoo has provided excellent care to its animals,..."  So, the San Francisco Zoological Society Board of Directors Chair, thinks that keeping two Great Apes living in caged tubes for eight months, is "excellent care"?  

Let me rehash when Director Peterson made a Pandemic joke about the Orangutans.  

Ed Poole and Tanya Peterson, shame on both of you.  You are despicable.  Neither one of you should a part of an Animal Care facility management team.

Additionally, the article mentioned a photo of Peterson near a Seal, shows her continued disrespect of non-human Beings.  In my opinion, from everything I've seen and heard about Tanya Peterson, I find it hard to believe she even likes Animals.

The article also brings up Peterson's nepotism.  The notations about her daughter and fiance, are allegedly not the only time this has happened.  I've heard of many family and friends of her and Board Members being given jobs.  She allegedly asked a Curator to take a pay cut, so she could up the pay of a friend in another position.  It's actually comical that Vitus Leung is quoted talking about this, as I heard he is tight with Peterson and was allegedly given the title of Deputy Director (in addition to being VP of HR), so he would get the pay raise.  Whether true or not, this guy shouldn't even be working at an Animal Care facility.  I once over heard him call an Animal ugly.  He obviously doesn't own a mirror.

More on statments.  Poole also notes passing USDA inspection.  The USDA inspection is confined to certain guidelines.  Not everything is covered in an inspection.  I know this because I've talked to USDA a few times and asked questions.  Something the reporter should have done.  It would have shown that Poole doesn't know anything about what really goes on at the Zoo, and that's because like everyone else, He doesn't care.

Another person quoted was former Community Zoological Society Board Member Elena Asturias.  "She praised Peterson’s fundraising abilities..."  Again, a missed opportunity, since Peterson cries poor and has done little to no fundraising for the Zoo in her fifteen years there.  Why wasn't Asturias asked for examples of the fundraising she is impressed by?  I'd also like to know in what way she represented Community concerns about management?

Quoting Dan Ashe from the AZA was useless.  He knows nothing.  He's the head of an organization that thought it was just fine to send Orangutans to SF when there was no enclosure for them.  Again the reporter could have asked details about why the Orangutans were sent here, with no place for them to live.  I'm not trying to hate on the reporter, just showing how by questioning these people who gave formulated responses, her article could have provided ammunition that proved there is blame on the Zoo Director for so much and a desperate need for change in leadership and in my opinion an examination of the whole management structure.

No surprise Director Tanya Peterson and RecPark GM Phil Ginsburg declined to be interviewed.  I've had experience with both.  Neither feels like they have to answer for anything.  I went to Ginsburg's Office in 2011 and while his receptionist lied to me, he hid in his office.  At a Joint Zoo Meeting in 2015, I questioned Peterson about the Chimpanzees and she literally put her head down and stared at the table, refusing to answer me.  As someone said to me the other day, "She's the worst"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.