Saturday, April 27, 2024

Time Out From Panda Talk - SFZoo Needs Animals!

 Happy World Tapir Day! 

One of the San Francisco Zoo Animals who I was endeared to the most, was Goober, the Bairds Tapir.  He's the muse for the title and background of this blog!  I spent alot of good times with him, and was lucky to meet him up close on two occasions.  I miss this guy, who always had a smile for me, and would laugh at the peoples with me.  I Love You Goobie! 


Let's talk about some Animals that I think our Zoo needs.  With all the Panda talk, our Zoo needs to add some friends to the collection.  We have too many empty exhibits.  Every visit I hear comments from visitors around me. Yesterday, as I was leaving, two gals walking past, one said, "Well that was disappointing".  I always feel disappointed myself when I hear visitors expressing feelings like this, about a place I care about.  I want people to feel good about the Zoo.

I stopped these two gals and asked them to share their thoughts.  The first thing they said was they missed all the Monkeys, noting the Tamarins especially.  They had been to the Zoo before, natives of the area, although one now lives out of state.  They reveled in past memories of the Zoo, complained about how long the Madagascar construction has gone on, and felt the Zoo just wasn't what it once was. ... Theirs are not isolated feelings.

In both past and recent posts, I have noted how the Zoo seriously needs to populate the empty enclosures and renovate the once used spaces.  With prices increasing, the Zoo needs to increase their collection.  I know that also increases the food expense, but then they need to stop building gardens and art installations.  People come to see Animals.  They pay to see Animals.  The Zoo can't just expect to throw Pandas in there and solve their perception, attendance and financial issues.

I've written of the importance of having many Monkey species.  At the very least, the Zoo needs to bring back a species of Monkey to fill the old Patas enclosure, and Tamarins to fill where Tamarins used to be.  Enough rotating different animals thru those enclosures on whims, which has also left them empty for long periods of time. ... It's been over two years since the tragedy at the WalkAbout.  The enclosure is sad.  I visit Boomer, the Emu, often, but it's a challenge to find the few Walleroos.  This area used to have well over a dozen furry friends hopping around.  It needs more life again. ... The Otters are missed by many.  We need to see those friendly faces again. ... Now that we have a Tapir at the Puenete and poor Cousco, the Guanaco, has been banished off exhibit, the meadow and the Tapir need more friends.  Pacha, the Tapir, has lived with Capybara before, no reason why the Zoo can't bring back a couple of these favorites. 

I'll end this with a Facebook post from San Diego Zoo today.  Their Capybara recently had babies, and the cuteness is squeal worthy!


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


2 comments:

  1. They had a good Aye-aye program, and their exhibit was better than most. They had 2 of the most beautiful Tamarin species: pied and the moustache tamarins. Of course also Patas, siamang , squirrel , langurs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim, Yes, re Aye-Ayes. Here's a factor in the MADagascar debacle. They allegedly destroyed the Nocturnal area, so now we cant even get Aye-Aye back. We are going to have a MAD area, with one MAD Mammal aside from Lemurs! It's insanity. I agree on all our lost Primates. I'd love to see Patas back, but allegedly Director Peterson had it out for them after the Keeper went to media about the young one suffering at Peterson's hands. So we can probably nevwr have that species again.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.