Sunday, April 28, 2024

My Reactions To Chronicle Article -Saturday April 20, 2024

I got side-lined from this post draft that I started last weekend, as others felt timely. Having the Zoo in the news almost daily in the past ten+ days, has made it difficult to keep up with documenting news and thoughts.

First of all, the article title...

"Chronicle’s S.F. Zoo investigation sparks concern, surprise among city officials"

My response to City Officials, SF Recreation and Park, Rec and Park Commission, San Francisco Zoological Society Board, and SFZoo Director Tanya Peterson...

I often hear quotes that speak to me in regard to my experiences, often Zoo related.  Mostly in regards to censorship, some I've shared on the sidebars of this blog, some I'm still waiting to share.  Today, during my food break before tackling the previous post, I watched this weeks episode of Law and Order.  Sometimes there is much truth in scripted shows, as there is with this line...  "Powerful people hate admitting they screwed up"

Before I expand on the notes I made from the article, I got to start with this...  

Memory.  Gotta love that even with my overwhelmed, old brain, I can remember almost every detail of my Zoo experiences, and knowledge, starting with Christmas Day 2007.  These days, I often can't remember a thought from thirty seconds ago, but I can tell you the birthdate of every Osmond Brother and their favorite color (70s teenage girl stuff).   So, as I read this article early the morning it was published, still half asleep, examples that prove bullshit, came flooding through my tired mind.  I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed by it all. There are those who may not like my Zoo blogging, but today especially I got to say, Well, well, it's a damn good thing that I keep detailed documentation!  

I'm going to highlight Rec and Park Commissioner Larry Mazzola, since his responses are the majority in this article.  That said, I do have to give mention to two other respondents first.  Their words taken from the article...

“There were some pretty serious allegations in the article,” said Jane Tobin, secretary of the Commission of Animal Control and Welfare. She added, “I’m not sure about the path forward.” 

I'm going to later show a sceencap that in part shows that Jane Tobin has sat on the Joint Zoo Committe panel for at least five years.  Her statement is pretty seriously empty.  It says nothing.  If only there were audio or visual recordings of the Meetings, we could see what her contributions have been to the proceedings. And she's not sure the path forward?  I'm sure.  There needs to be a complete overhaul of management, from Director Peterson to Tobin's seat on the Committee panel, and everyone in between.

Now let's hear from the new Zoological Society Board Chair, Melinda Dunn... “We also have numerous safety protocols to ensure the safety of our staff, as well as safety and welfare committees responsible for reviewing staff concerns, evaluating the situation and resolving any issues. We are proud of the San Francisco Zoo and our teams.”

I believe Melinda Dunn became Chair within the last couple months, but she has reportedly been part of the Board for years.  Like every other Board member, I doubt she knows anything more about the Zoo, than what Director Peterson has presented.  Many at the Zoo think she may be their savior, I have no faith that anything different will happen.  The Zoological Society Board has it's lack of taking part in managing duties set in stone.  I'd be curious how many times Dunn has been to the Zoo in the last year, not counting ZooFest or any other Society cocktail yuckfest.  Leading up to her new appointment, did she visit the Zoo and check things out?  Take an interest? Ask questions?  Introduce herself to Staff?   I'd bet that's a hard no on all counts.

Before I go on, I want to reiterate what I've said many times before, all entities tasked with managing and/or oversight of our San Francisco Zoo, have failed in their duties.  Starting with SFZoo Director Tanya Peterson, SF Zoological Society Board, down to the SF Recreation and Park Dept and Commission.  I have not experienced any interest from any of them in what actually happens at the Zoo.  I'm not sure if it's because they all wear rose colored glassed, if they are all lazy, or if no one cares.  In my experience, it's mostly the later, with a bit of the other two as well.  Over the years, I have contacted someone in each entity, without any response.  

So, let's move on to Commissioner Mazzola's words.  My reaction is a bit mixed on his words.  While I'm judgemental because he has been on the Commision at least five years, I'm disappointed that he hasn't cared about the Zoo until now.  That said, at least his words are not the same slick PR words that came out of the mouths of the current Board Chair Dunn, the last Chair Edward Poole (in Wednesday's article), or the Statement made by the Zoo (assuming by the Director?).

Commissioner Mazzola is quoted, "calling for a full investigation into the accusations."  Well, if that actually happens, all I have to say is, it's about time someone did something.  After fifteen years of watching everyone just leave the Zoo in the mismanaging and damaging hands of Director Peterson, this is new.  Time will tell how deep, or long-lasting this will be.

Mazzola said he was surprised to learn about most of the issues in the Chronicle’s report. He said he would invite Tanya Peterson, CEO and Executive Director of the Zoo, and Melinda Dunn, the Zoological Society’s new board chair, to attend the committee’s June meeting to answer questions about the article’s findings. 

To that above, I say good luck!  In the last fifteen months, Director Peterson has gone to only one of twelve Joint Zoo Committe Meetings.  As well, I have never known the Board Chair to go to one meeting.  This should be good.

“We have to ask more questions. We have to have answers if the public asks us, or whoever,” Mazzola said in the meeting.

Yes!  He (and everyone on the panel) should ask questions.  Not just more, but question everything.  Is that not the job of an oversight entity?  How can checks and balances be made if no one questions anything?  Even if it's not outlined in any responsibility guideline handbook, if he and every other member of that panel had any real interest in the Zoo, they should have questions.  I mean my gosh, how simple do you have to be to not have any questions about anything? I question everything.  That's how I know stuff.  I don't let things just pass on by.

In 2019, Commissioner Mazzola was on the Committee panel that gave the approval for the Zoo to acquire the female Orangutan.  Thing is, she was already at the Zoo!  Maybe if there were "more questions", the cruelty that happened to the Orangutans could have been stopped before they got here.

“I want to make sure that the workers are being heard,” Mazzola said in the meeting. “Worker safety and the way that workers are being treated are the No. 1 priority, along with keeping the animals safe. That’s what this is all about.”

Ok, so this is a big one.  Remember the start of this post and Memory?  Well, here is my past documention that leads to the very core of that first sentence, “I want to make sure that the workers are being heard."   

Well, Commissioner Mazzola, workers tried to be heard.  The Committee panel all but refused to listen to them.  I was there at three separate Meetings in 2015, starting with the February Meeting, when the announcement that the Zoo would be keeping the Chimpanzees was made, a group of Keeper's took the opportunity to address the Committee.  At the March and April Meetings, more Keepers let their voice be heard.  The treatment the Animal Care Staff got at each Meeting was disrespectful and disgusting. 

Starting the next year the Meetings were held at City Hall, and have been since.  I was told by a former Committee Member that the move was allegedly to make sure Keepers didn't show up, a reason everyone believes to be true. 

Below are screencap excerpts from my blog post dealing the situation. ... May 2015 ... Joint Zoo Committee Meeting - Call to Action - Suggestions, Comments and Complaints.

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2015/05/joint-zoo-committee-meeting-call-to.html


Words below taken from
the Meeting Minutes


At the end of this May 2015 post
I put forth my suggestions...

So yeah, further facts that the management and oversight of management, needs an overhaul!   The system is a mess and the Animals and Zoo have suffered from it, while Director Peterson runs rampant and doesn't answer to anyone, because no one is asking her to.

Related Post (includes full article):


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.