Saturday, April 20, 2024

Pyramid Of Power - Understanding Who Is Supposed To Be Managing Our SFZoo

As I've mentioned this post has been in draft for several or more years, I will note that I may have an additional post on the subject, as for now, I'm not going to open the computer and read through old notes.  I'll just wing it as I write.  Winging it has been mentioned before, and a new style of posting in more recent times.  I have always prepared posts extensively, with endless notes, graphics, paragraph organization and other well thought out design.  These days, I just don't have it in me.  Even though I feel it's more loose, I hope I still present things in an informative way.  It often doesn't even save on actual writing time, just on prep time and mental anguish of reliving old thoughts.

I learned early on, from a few long-time Staffers, how the system works.  Rather how it's supposed to work.  How it has worked, unfortunately has played out in my fifteen+ years of monitoring the Zoo.  Whether that be things I've seen with my own eyes on Zoo grounds/Park Bison Paddock and at Joint Zoo Committee Meetings, conversations and/or correspondence I've had with Staff and/or managing entities,  what I've read in researching issues, or in any other way I have come to know these truths, it is all based on my personal experience.

My understanding of the way the power system works is as such.

*The City of San Francisco - Owns the SFZoo

*The SFZoo, is part of the SF Recreation and Park Department - Alleged managing Entity

*The SFZoo is "Managed" by the San Francisco Zoological Society.

*Tanya Peterson is the SFZoo Director and CEO (Shouldn't that be two separate positions?).

Those are the four main components. 

As I understand it, per the Lease Agreement of 1993 the SF Zoological Society, I assume meaning Board Members, are supposed to be managing the Zoo.  The SF Rec and Park is supposed to have a similar managing role as the Zoo is in their Dept. and they are part of the checks and balances (my term) that participates in the monitoring process.

The monitoring process is held in the form of The Joint Zoo Committee Meetings.  These Meetings are supposed to be eleven per calendar year. They consist of three Rec and Park Commissioners, three Zoological Society Board Members and two additional, one a DVM and one from Animal Control and Welfare.

The Meetings are intended as a monthly Wrap-up, FYIs, Animal Transaction notations and request for approval and Public comment.

In my experience, nothing in this system has worked as it has been described it is supposed to.  

*The City has been completely hands off.  

*The Rec and Park has been completely hands off, other than Commissioner presence at Meetings.

*The Zoological Society has been completely hands off, other than Board Members presence at Meetings, including one Board Member who is also a Docent. Note: It was brought to my attention years ago, that SF Zoological Society Member Mary Sutton (Docent), was elevated to Board Member, allegedly in violation of the guidelines for Board of Directors as outlined in the Lease Agreement.  Who knows if the second seat is even held by an unbiased community member.

In my experience, no one in the SF Zoological Society cares to take an active role managing the Zoo.  Instead defering to whatever Director Peterson says and does, including believing every word and action without question, and supporting her words and actions when approached. Society Members, specifically the Board of Directors rarely come to the Zoo, if at all outside of the annual Zoofest, or other special events and cocktail parties.  Apparently no one ever has questions about what goes on.  Why, because No one cares.

The same as above goes for the SF Rec and Park Dept.  No one cares.

The Joint Zoo Committee Meetings are a joke.  It's a paper-pushing, back patting ( I have literally seen a back pat!), twenty minute rush through.  No one on the panel has rarely ever asked any questions.  Things have passed right before them, that should have been questioned.  No one cares.

Zoo Director Peterson doesn't even go to the Joint Zoo Meetings any more.  Her attendance in the past several to more years has been sporatic, and from January 2023 to March 2024, she has only been to one out of eleven Meetings, and she didn't even give the administrative presentation at that one. So in addition to allegedly rarely making an appearance on Zoo grounds, she can't make it to a twenty minute meeting, once a month.  She doesn't care.

They can all dispute this, but take one look at our Zoo, inside and the perimeter fence that holds it, and that proves No one cares.  

If anyone of the Board of Directors wants to hip me to how many times they visited the Zoo in 2023, I'd be interested to know.  My guess is zero to two.

Anyone who wants a copy of the Lease Agreement can email the Rec and Park and request a copy.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.