Saturday, April 13, 2024

Wasting Money? Sure Seems Like It!

Since I mentioned and questioned, What happened to the $250,000 of locked funds for the Squirrel Monkeys? in my previous post, I think this is a good spot to drop this post, that I started a couple weeks ago.

There have been many examples of what I think have been a misuse of funds.  Maybe not considered as such, but as long as I see needs, and what seems like a needless use of money used outside those needs, I see it as mismanagement. 

Money issues here and there were never on the post to-do list.  I have written about the needs that are veto'd and given the reason, that 'there's no money'.  I've also written about Zoo Director Tanya Peterson using funds for art installations and gardens, while crying poor.  And her continued fail in any efforts to fundraise.  

Two things that recently became a head-shaker, have been an apparent waste of electricity.  Back in February, I noticed every visit the new-ish Gorilla Trek VR experience, had a huge visual screen on during business hours, even when the ride isn't in operation.  ... Additionally, I'd be curious to know if the Zoo is renting this or has bought it, and how profitable it's been?  The stupid ropes course they bought was a waste of money.



As well that dumb million dollar baobao tree (I know that's not how to spell it, that's what I call it!) has been lit up all four of my visits over a recent two week period. ... The photo shows the first time when only one light was on.  The following times at least five were on, three around the base and two stationed on the upper level.  Im against lighting this up, but if they are going to, they should make Animal stencils and have Fossa, Tortoises and Lemurs shining on it.  Make the damn thing interesting at least.  These lights look like spilled paint.


I never understood the original plan for the Madagascar project, that showed it whole thing illuminated on and around the damn tree.  What's the point of having lights for the tree when the Zoo is never open at night, except for one or two VIP events.  It's a waste and self-serving for the sake of a mini wow! by Society Members? 


I looked at this original Madagascar plan for years, and could never figure it out.  Even with the baobao tree up, I was confused about the layout and where new Animals, ie the whole reason for this MAD Project, were going.  Which by the way, since I'm on wasted money, this whole project is a complete waste of rumored $7-10 million dollars!

I made a recent video walking through the whole area, showing current plans, and my info commentary... 

So, yeah, it looks like neither of these energy drawers are solar powered, so why is the Zoo running these lights and the Gorilla Trek screen all day?

It would seem saving every little bit, would add up and some Animal needs could be attended to.

I complain about the Madagascar project alot, and with valid reason.  One of the things that irked me was the three-four years, the Zoo had a Rent-A-Fence around the Mad Pit.  Irresponsible use of funds.  They eventually built their own, and then it came down and rentals came back, and now back to what looks like their own. ... No idea where the rental fence photo is, but here's a recent one to give an idea how much fence was being rented! and this only shows half of it.


Well this was only going to be about leaving the tv and lights on, but let's continue. ... I've mentioned many times the art installations and gardens.  I have no idea what some of those art installations have cost, or how much the "artist in residence" gets paid for them, but in my opinion these are things you add to a facility when everything else is taken care of, not in place of needs.  The most recent thing I saw the artist assembling was photos around the Primate Center enclosed area. They are fine, nice photos, but they are photo reproductions glued to the windows, nothing more.  The photos aren't even taken by the artist but sourced from online and surely at a cost, in addition to his fee for gluing them up.  Most likely to be removed when that inside area is sorted, so a waste of money if indeed temporary.


The Gardens.  Don't get me wrong, I love the gardens, they are beautiful, but not an expense in lieu of Animal needs. Let's just focus on three large projects, from the last year and a half.  

This one at Orangutans (half garden shown) was installed to create an illusion during the AZA Accreditation Inspection that the Orangutan enclosure was nice.

This one lines (both sides are landscaped) the VIP Entrance created outside the Education Building, leading to and from the parking lot. 

This one, I have no idea what the justification for it is.  It's the most elaborate and it looks to be the most costly of them all. 

I know how much garden supplies cost.  These gardens are not inexpensive.  I estimate for these three had to be $150,000+!

At some point in the last year or two, I was reading the Zoo's Tax Return (on their site under Financials).  There a few expenses I thought sounded outrageous, but the one that really stood out was for Travel.  It immediately reminded me of a trip that was posted to the Zoo's social media, a few years before that.  Director Peterson and the Bird Curator went to a Sloth Sanctuary in South America.  That's all great if the Zoo is flush with funds, but in my opinion this seemed like it was a recreational trip.  And if there was a legitimate reason, like seeking education to care for Sloths (which at the time were not new to the Zoo), only the Curator needed to go.  To expense both of them seemed like a misuse of funds, and only because Peterson has said Sloths are her favorite.  It made me wonder yet again about the legitimacy/necessity of these trips taken by Director Peterson.  If she wants to go play with Sloths, she should use part of her near $400k salary to do so.  As well, if she loves Sloths, she should have better homes for the two that live at the Zoo.

I had wondered once before, when Peterson showed photos at a Joint Zoo Meeting of her trip(s?) to Florida visiting places she was trying to send our poor Chimpanzees.  It seemed she had brought family with her, and made a vacation of it.  I wondered if the Zoo paid for their expenses as well. 

Don't get me wrong, legitimate trips that relate to the job are not what I'm talking about.  I'm talking about trips that seem to not directly relate and are frivolously being taken, when money could be used for Animal needs.  And having donors pay (as I've heard has been alleged to happen?) for a trip, is also frowned upon in my opinion, as saying thank you for your generosity, but that money could be better spent on Animal needs.

Director Peterson or anyone else, should not be taking unnecessary/frivolous trips, when the Zoo is desperate for money for Animal needs.  

That said, the Zoo's Travel Expenses for the last fifiteen years should be audited.

The things I'd want to know ...

*Were these necessary trips?  ... What are the reasons?

*How many Staff traveled?  ... Why was it necessary for more than one person?

*Were there non-Staffers on any trip? ... If so, how was the expense divided?

Believe me, there are many more than just me who not only wonder about these things, but firmly believe money is being misused and misappropriated. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




4 comments:

  1. You should inquire about the “new” steam engine that arrived almost two years ago and has never been used because it won’t work with the current setup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous - Thank you for your comment. ... I'm assuming that's the one they named after Cobby? Have never even see it! Is it in the train hut? ... If it can't be ised, it should at least be on display. Do you know how much it cost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it’s the engine they named after Cobby. It’s in the train shed attached to the side of the tunnel and can barely be seen from the side windows or if you turn around while on the train to peek into the shed. I don’t know how much it cost, but it couldn’t have been cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I'll take a look through the window. I was reminded of this in one of their recent posts about it. I actually originally thought it wasn't even an operating vehicle.

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.