Sunday, April 21, 2024

My Reaction To The Statement By The San Francisco Zoo Re The Chronicle Article

I still have my reaction to yesterday's article to write, and within minutes of waking up, I was hipped to the Zoo's own reaction.  Here is a screencap, posted to their Instagram.  

Before I react to the Zoo's words, I want to say something about the comments I read.  I always read comments, because while there will be the annoying ones that have no place in a public forum, the frustrating ones made by those who have no clue and/or wear rose colored glasses, there are always gems from those who do know what's going on and who do get it.  It's time consuming, but important.  I like to know what everyone's opinion is, because that's how you know what your up against if your mission is awareness of truths.  

The first time I ever dived so deep into comments for any reason, not just regarding the Zoo, was after the Tiger event in 2007.  That had international publicity and you can imagine how many comments were even on the multitudes of local news forums.  It was days of long hours, just reading comments.  At the time, I was just a Zoo bystander.  I was a member, as I had been my whole life, but I only visited maybe  once a month, special events and holidays.  I didn't know any staff, I didn't know the Animals individually, I didn't know about anything that may have been going on there.  What I did know was this was a place that had been a part of my life, my whole life.  It was a part of me and I was protective of it.  I was extremely affected by that event, as I was there that day and have the last photo ever taken of Tatiana.  As I read the thousands of comments that bashed my happy place, I was deeply saddened by the words I read.  While there is too much to note here on that event, as this is not meant for that, it is meant to express why, like then, when I read or even hear bad stuff about the Zoo, it saddens me.  The Zoo has been like a second home to me, and the Animals like my outside non-human family.  My goal since that Christmas Day in 2007 has been to spread truths and try to enlighten, for our Zoo to be the best it can be.

As the years have gone on, I have been down many roads with my experiences at the Zoo.  A big turning point was when my character was attacked with lies put forth by Zoo Director Tanya Peterson.  She took my membership away (giving me the status of being the first person in the history of the Zoo to have that happen).  Her lies to created a stigma that had a majority of staff treating me like I was an enemy of the Zoo.  Her treatment of me resulted in my need to start documenting my experiences.  I had previously only wrote about the Animals as I tried to endear people to them, feeling that if people knew them like I did, it would help lift the dark cloud the Tiger event created.  Yet Director Peterson's actions against me were forcing me to also document the things that just weren't right.  Unfortunately her actions against me weren't isolated.  This was 2011, she had been Director three years and her reign of terror was gaining momentum.  All anyone has to do is read through my blog to see what she has done to the Zoo, that so many of us love dearly.  

I'm writing this post without any previous thoughts, so I apologize if my free flowing words are getting off topic.  What I want people to know is, the Zoo itself is not the problem.  The problem is isolated to Director Peterson, and the Zoological Society Board who has allowed her to mismanage the Zoo to ruin, because the Society in essence wants nothing to do with managing her or the Zoo.  Director Peterson has no experience with Animals, I don't even think she likes Animals, and in my opinion has a personal issue with Primates specifically, but I digress. Her inexperience in itself is not the problem,  it's her self-importance, lack of compassion, and general not giving a shit, that has prevented her from successfully managing the Zoo.  She has been surrounded by Animal Care Staff who have tried to educate, advise and guide her, and she has not listened to any of them, to the detriment of the Animals in many situations.  

When I read comments that are worded in ways that slant accuracy, especially in reference to the Animal's care, that bothers me.  With a few exceptions, the Animal Care Staff do everything they can to give the Animals the best life.  They are fed, have medical care, enrichment, and are loved by their caregivers.  Any issue outside of that, including improper housing, is a management issue.  Using the Orangutans as an example.  What happened to them, having no dedicated home before coming here and the emotional, mental, and physical repercussions of that, are solely on Director Peterson.  The care they got from Keepers was and is exceptional, given the circumstances.  Keepers did their best to provide the best life for them during the time those poor Souls were confined to decrepit night quarters and caged tubes.  

So, finally I will get to my reaction to the Zoo's official statement in regard to Wednesday's Chronicle article.  Like the statements made by ex-Society Board Chair Ed Poole, statements made by the Zoo, proxy to Director Tanya Peterson, are designed to do damage control.  They refer to things that really hold no value to what is being presented.  

In their first sentence they quote the article contains, "misrepresented information, ... and inaccurate facts".  Yet they do not expand on What they believe is untrue and Why.  This singularly is the problem with management.  They, Director Peterson, the Board Chair, et al, do not believe they have any responsibility to address anything or answer for anything, to anyone.  

Included in the nonsense of inspections, accreditation and attendance? mentioned, they go on to tout and praise their Animal Care teams, the very people they refuse to listen to advice from. And again like a broken record will say, How dare they, Director Tanya Peterson, I'm speaking directly to you, ... How dare you speak of taking Animal Care seriously, when (among other cruel offenses) you kept Great Apes in a caged tube for eight months!!!  The Animal Care Staff are the ones who took caring for the Orangutans and every other Animal that lives there seriously, not you.  You and the Society, the managing entities are the problem at the Zoo. 

Let's be very clear, all the Animal Care teams you speak of, they are the ones keeping the Zoo from being sucked down the drain your fifteen years of mismanagement is barreling it towards.  

And speaking of Proud, where is your Pride for the way the outside of the Zoo looks?  And again, I'm playing that old tune of "The Broke Ass Perimeter Fence".  While you take funds away from Animal Needs, to build Gardens and Art Installations, which the Zoo doesn't need, why don't you replace that near hundred year old fence.  You do little to earn your obscene salary for the part-time (at best) attention you give the Zoo, you should donate the funds to replace it.  

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.