Friday, April 19, 2024

Pandas For SFZoo, Great! But Fix The Place First!

I'm finally wrapping up my day and catching up on all the Panda media stories, starting with Mayor Breed's video announcement.


Not going to lie, I cried a bit at the joy I know I'll feel seeing Giant Pandas here again.  That said, I think a good many of those tears were for our Orangutans, just like the tears I shed for our Chimpanzees when they waited over twenty years for an upgraded home.

I've written a few posts already about why I don't think now is the right time, and I've noted in-depth that my primary reason is because of how the Orangutans have been treated since the day they got here.  They had no designated home, they were forced to live in caged tubes, and then thrown in a sixty year old enclosure.  They NEED an appropriate home!  I had hoped (obviously foolishly) that if this did become a reality, that there would be a reasonable and responsible timeline and Zoo-wide upgrades, with Orangutans at the top of the Need List, but unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be part of the plan.  

A News item from ABC notes,  "The Zoo's CEO spoke with our media partners at the San Francisco Standard.  She hopes to renovate an existing facility so the pandas can arrive by 2025.  That will cost around $4 million, followed by $20 million for a new exhibit. The zoo plans to launch a major fundraising effort.

That to me is a very sad statement, assuming made by San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson.  

So, "major fundraising", yet Director Peterson has not done any real fundraising for the Zoo in the fifteen+ years she's been there, which has left the Zoo in a desperate state, including with too many empty enclosures.  

The big question is, WHY was it not important to her to do major fundraising for the Orangutans to have a decent home? 


Instead I guess they are destined to live on the Ancient Triple Grotto Islands their whole lives.  Even worse, apparently the Pandas will be getting two fancy enclosures, a temporary one costing $4 mil and a permanent one costing $20 mil.  And again, the Orangutans have gotten not one thing for them, not even in the enclosure they are in. Every upgrade to that enclosure was done for containment and Keeper access.   No money for netting so they can not only climb, but so the topical area can be extended.  No money to even build them new tree like structures.  It's just really disturbing.

Additionally in regards to money, Mayor Breed was previously quoted saying she would raise $25 mil.  Is that still happening?  Cause the Zoo sure could use both efforts.

And I'd be curious to know where the temporary enclosure will be.  It's already been noted that the area "designated" is in the area next to Przwalski Horses.  I still think building an enclosure adjacent to Grizzly Gulch where there are two unused enclosures would be good.  That way if/when the Pandas stay is over, the Black Bears could move there.  




So, yeah, Pandas will be bittersweet.  I'll be happy to see them, but sad if the Zoo doesn't get alot of Needs fixed between now and then.  There's a big to do list, as too many things been piling up for over a decade, and there's also the big problem with mismanagement.  The whole way the Zoo is managed, from Director Peterson, to the Zoological Society Board, to the Rec and Park. All managing entities outlined in the lease agreement, yet the latter two have been negligent in their duties, and Peterson has been the worst. There is no checks and balances, which is why our Zoo is in a desperate state.  

It's a tall order, but many years in the making, before a big thing like Pandas happens, I'd like to see things fixed and new management.  That said, the later probably won't happen.  So, I'd be happy with at least this fix list completed...

*Netting over two Grotto enclosures for the Orangutans.  Moats filled to extend topical space.  And that damn bridge demolished! ... Netting the third grotto for another species.

*Finish netting Flamingos.  

*All empty enclosures occupied.  

*More Marsupials added to the WalkAbout

*Additional Monkey Species

*South Gate repopulated and reopened.

*New perimeter fence.  

The Zoo would most likely raise prices for day tickets and can't expect people to pay and there not to be enough Animals to see.  People are already complaining.  And it would be awful if people had to line-up along that broken down fence.

Additional thoughts, with expected spike in attendance, the Zoo would need to hire more people, security, ticket sales, gate house,...  As well, it's been said to me by some, that three isnt enough Bamboo on grounds to feed Red Pandas, so trucking it in would be another expense.

I still think fixing the Zoo first would have been the better timeline, not bring them here next year, but maybe it's a grab them when and while you can thing?  I just think if the Zoo was fixed and they arrived to an awesome Zoo in time to greet the new year, as the Zoo heads into its 100th Anniversary in 2029, that would be ideal and quite something to celebrate.

I just hope this all works out as successfully as the Mayor and Director think it will.  I worry for our Zoo.

I feel like I may have been all over the place in presenting thoughts, but it's alot, and I'm really getting tired of pointing out the right and obvious way things should be done.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



2 comments:

  1. I love pandas too, but I have questions and suspicions on the plan and the motivation.
    So, after they spend $4 million on a temporary enclosure for pandas - which I assume will be too small, too rudimentary, too barren - how long will it take for the $20 million enclosure to be built? How long will the pandas be in the temporary enclosure? Will the pandas and the horses and the Chacoan Peccaries be subjected to years of construction noises? Where will the permanent enclosure be built? Why not wait until the zoo is *actually* READY for such magnificent pandas? (so as not to repeat the despicable treatment of the orangutans) And then, what will they do with the temporary enclosure?
    In reality, doesn’t San Francisco face many challenges - so many that spending so much money this way seems frivolous and irresponsible?
    The pandas will arrive by boat, I assume, to a small, temporary enclosure in a place that is deteriorating! Is this move better for the pandas?
    I’ve heard people say that it’s difficult to raise money for zoos…. this endeavor seems too self-serving for SF leadership; it is definitely NOT being done for the welfare of the pandas, for the existing zoo animals, or for the middle class who still live in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Suzie! Thank you for commenting. I know you get it! We experienced the Orangutan saddness together! Everything you say is valid. And I hadn't thought of the massive construction noise that will be in that area, forced upon the Horses both Przwalski and Therapy, as well the Peccaries. And there is no space to move them all off exhibit. Shaking my head lady!

    ReplyDelete

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.