Sunday, April 7, 2024

Where's Slider? - Family Farm Cow Moved

Slider is a favorite with not only Staff and Volunteers, but with many Visitors. Some of whom may be wondering, Where is Slider? Some may not have even noticed his disappearance, but that's probably because his public visibility has been little to none for too long, and I mean years.

I have kept a close eye on Slider's rotation for many years, and constantly questioned, Why he was always stuck "in the back"?  His access went from daily rotation to the visible "sand corral" and the behind the scenes "grass pasture", with access to other areas with decent regularity, down to near no visibility, with him being kept in a small area adjacent to his night stall, the majority of the time.  There was always some excuse, or rationale.  What it really was is laziness and misuse of time by the previous Farm team who preferred and prioritized their time playing with Giraffes, rather than tending to the Farm Animals in their care.  Unfortunately him being stuck in his night quarters a majority of the time, also spilled over to more recent times as well.  This wasn't right, so I've been really sad for him, for years.

In late Fall, as I walked through the parking lot to the entrance, I noticed a trailer being parked into the grass pasture.  I waited, but when it was opened, no Animals came out.  I wondered then who was leaving.  I asked and those I talked to said they didn't know.  It was several weeks later that someone told me Slider had been moved from the Zoo the week before.  I cried when I heard.  I'm really bonded to Slider, so this was very upsetting.  The person who told me didn't even know he was leaving, or had already gone when they found out, as even some staff was kept in the dark.  As I said in my last post, it's a shame that the Zoo isn't transparent with information, so friends to the Animals can see them before they leave.  In addition to being sad and upset thinking I may never see Slider again, I was pissed, as there are people there who know how much Slider meant to me from before he even arrived at the Zoo, yet no one told me.  His move like all moves, was not planned overnight, so there was plenty of time for word to have gotten to me, and it didn't.

Kisses for Slider in 2015!

I soon found out Slider was moved to a new? Sanctuary in Penngrove (just forty minutes north) called Rooster Run Foundation.  I checked their Facebook, and found this post from the day he arrived there.  You can see I (Tiki Kim) made a comment.  Before their reply, I also sent a message on Messenger, asking about visiting. After sending my message I saw they had messaged me already.  Right after that, I saw notification that they had replied to my comment, inviting me to visit Slider! 



I was super happy that at least I would be able to visit Slider.  It provided some comfort that he wasn't gone from my life.   I sent a message back to them on messenger, so not to clog comments with possible visit logistics.

In mid-January, I sent them a message, to arrange a visit.  A notation appeared that my message couldn't be sent.  I waited a bit and tried again.  Same thing.  I went to the FB page to see if maybe there was a glitch with their account.  Their page wouldn't come up for me.  I thought WTF?  Did they block me?  Why would they block me?   So, I thought to message them on Instagram, and have never heard back.  As well, soon after my message, their IG wouldn't load for me either.   A friend confirmed that they could see all their content.  So, apparently, it was just me.  

At the time of my initial contact in December, they noted, 'two of the people taking care of Slider at the Zoo were taking care of him at Rooster Run'.  At the same time, someone at the Zoo told me it was two former Keepers.  I'm not going to name names, but to me it's very clear what has happened here.  While I'm 99.9% sure I'm right, unless I have confirmed something, I'm not going to go there.  That said, everyone associated with the Zoo and me, know very well who those two are.  

So, this is what I think happened.  Someone from Rooster Run, invited me, because if that's possible why wouldn't they?  And then, the two former Keeper's must have heard about it and bad mouthed me, resulting in communication with me being cut-off.  All I have to say is this is very petty, and shitty behavior.  Such a rude way to treat someone who cares about Slider, not to mention a shady way to conduct business. I may not even be the only one who's been treated like this.  The worst of it is, that it's cruel to Slider to not only take him away from people who love him, but to alienate those same people.  Poor Slider.

I asked a couple people if they have heard how Slider is doing, and have been told, they heard well.  I told them about the scenario on Facebook with Rooster Run and one said, I thought you had a good relationship with so and so?  I said I thought so too.  Aside from an issue one of the two had with me about a post I wrote when they changed Mini-Horse Viggo's name to Tonka, both so and so's were still talking to me.  Unfortunately, they made many enemies while working at the Zoo, and this action with Slider denial, just proves the bad character behavior they showed while at the Zoo was sadly accurate.

It's beyond sad that I will never see Slider again, but I at least hope they have lived up to their initial post that states, 'at Rooster Run he will have freedom and friends', which to me means more space and Animal Friends, which would probably make him happier, which is what's really important in this whole situation.  Even though I also think seeing old friends would make him happy too.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.