Friday, April 26, 2024

Zoo Director Tanya Peterson Is No Steward Of Asian Conservation

This was published yesterday in the Zoo's most recent email newsletter, Animail.

Everything that comes out of San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson's mouth makes me furious.  She really has no shame.  How can she talk about Asian Conservation after how she has treated two species in the Zoo's care, the Komodo Dragon and Orangutans, both whose wild habitat is in areas of Southeast Asia.  She has not been a Steward of Asian Conservation.  Our passed first Komodo Dragon and our Orangutans, are proof of that.

Two weeks ago, I wrote a post titled 

"San Francisco - Still Chasing After Pandas - Why It's Irresponsible".  Below is a screencap from it.

I felt bad not to include the full sad and cruel plight of my precious friend Falcor, the Zoo's first Komodo Dragon, in that post, but I thought it was best to focus on the Orangutans as they are still here and in need.  When a friend read the post, they said something about me not talking about the Komodo Dragon, and it made me feel awful. I explained that I mentioned him, but thought I should keep it current, and that it in no way takes away from what happened to Falcor, and certainly not what he meant to me.  I will never forget, or forgive the disrespect and disregard he was given.

Falcor arrived at the Zoo with much fanfare, he was the new shiny toy they had to have.  Still small enough for his temporary home, basically a large terrarium.  Promised a new home within a year, he would wait almost five, as Director Peterson allegedly vetoed all plans presented to her, with her favorite excuse, No Money.  The terrarium went from a lush green environment to a barren dirt pit.  He was living in a box of dirt, with little view of the outside.  He out grew the terrarium, to the point he could no longer fit in his night quarters nor turn around in the glass box.  He developed a small bump on his spine, that was not tended to for six months, when it was over three inches off his body, and he could barely walk.  He eventually had surgery, returning to the cramped space that wasn't even large enough for him to get exercise.  I can't even with the chute they rigged up for him to go outside.  It was a wood box almost the same size as him, that he walked in, sat and was left there, til they turned it around, so he could walk back in.  

It's painful to even think about, let alone even write about in full detail.  That said, I had to read a past post to make sure it was one that covered all the details of his life at the Zoo and Director Peterson's negligence in providing him an appropriate and healthy home.  Re-living it breaks my heart, and makes my stomach sick.  

Please honor Falcor's life and read the full details of what he endured at the SFZoo.  

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/02/komodo-dragon-to-finally-get.html

Tanya Peterson has no empathy or compassion.  She has been so awful to so many Animals at our Zoo.  It's disturbing that someone of her character is in charge or of an Animal Care facility.  Shame on her and the San Francisco Zoological Society for their negligence and ignorance, that has allowed this woman to remain in place for fifteen years.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Blogger's Statement

"Personal Opinions and Facts presented publicly are Not against the law or any rules. ... Censorship and Retaliation Actions in an attempt at Suppression are frowned upon by Healthy Societies."

For Full Statement see this post:

https://iamnotananteater.blogspot.com/2018/09/my-zoo-status.html

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


No comments:

Post a Comment

*Thank you for your comment. All comments are appreciated and I try my best to reply back in a timely manner. Sometimes timely isn't possible, but I will reply to all comments at some point. Please check back.
*If you have a problem commenting, don't see your comment (within 24 hours), or want to contact me for any other reason, please use the about.me link on the sidebar.
*You can be a Voice for the SFZoo Animals by Contacting the San Francisco Zoo Director Tanya Peterson at tanyap@sfzoo.org
*Thank You for taking the time to read about things that matter to me.